The Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue
- Enforces state and local tax laws.
- Receives and audits state and local tax returns.
- Assists Virginia taxpayers with filing state and local tax returns.
- Discovers and enrolls all persons and property for state and local taxation.
- Assesses all local taxes EXCEPT the real estate tax.
- Advocates amendment of unjust state and local tax laws.
- Assists the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) customers with vehicle-related issues.
Popular Service Areas
Documents & Forms
View our collection of important documents and forms. The files are generated in .pdf unless otherwise indicated.
Car Tax Appeals
Personal property assessments for vehicles may be appealed based on high mileage or condition using the online Assessment Appeal Form.
Business License Renewal
Payment for renewals is due on or before March 1. If payment for the current year's license is not received by March 1, penalty and interest may be applied and the business is considered not licensed.
The Commissioner's business license portal is now available online for new applicants and existing businesses wishing to renew a business license.
Code of Virginia
The Code of Virginia contains the laws passed by the General Assembly and signed by the Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia.